During the last couple of years, the popularity of C10 trucks has skyrocketed. More and more are getting the modifications needed to create great looking and infinitely better-than-new hot rods. When it comes to updates, suspensions seem to be first on many enthusiast’s lists.
Chris Alston Chassisworks realizes this need for incredible vehicle handling and has set the C10 Chevy directly in its crosshairs. Enter KP Components’ (part of the Chris Alston family) suspension systems.
KP Components’ C10 Dropped Crossmember for ‘63-87 Chevy C10 and GMC fixes all of the inherent issues that develop when lowering your C10. You’ll be happy to know, it’s done using easy bolt-on parts. With the installation of the kit, the frame rails under the cab become the lowest point of the chassis. What’s more, the track width is narrowed, allowing the use of wider tires. The wheelbase is also shifted forward for added tire clearance and a better appearance when the truck is at full drop.
“With laying the frame on the ground being the end goal, the stock C10 suspension has some inherent limitations,” says Chris Alston. “The stock suspension was never designed to sit that far into its travel, so our dropped crossmember is a clean-slate solution to address the following issues with a stock vehicle:
- The stock front-suspension crossmember sits lower than the frame underneath the cab. This prevents the chassis from sitting flat when laid out.
- The stock control arms are designed for a much higher range of travel, so downward travel is limited by ball-joints and control arm angle.
- The stock track width does not allow enough fender clearance for wider tire and wheel combinations.
- When fully laid out, the front-axle centerline shifts rearward of center within the wheel arch and reduces firewall clearance.
- The stock drag-link steering is outdated, delivers a vague feeling and not very responsive as compared to modern trucks.”
The fabricated crossmember integrates reinforced mounts for all suspension components and when bolted together, completely captures the stock-frame channel to form a larger and stronger section of the frame.
Additional improvements start with the inclusion of tubular control arms with Silverado-style adjusters. The tubular-steel upper control arm is made using a stronger-than stock, folded-gusset design for ball-joint mounting and steel-sleeved urethane-bushing pivots. The driver will also experience better steering control with the aid of a power rack-and-pinion steering, front sway bar, dropped spindles, and VariShock billet-aluminum adjustable shocks. Finally, urethane-bushed engine mounts are available. (Some components optional.)
The lower control arms are also a work of art and feature a continuous-length construction. This the lower arm is formed by a single piece of tubular steel. This is much stronger than units welded together. Like the upper control arms, the lowers feature a stronger, folded-gusset design for bag-plate mounting as well as ball-joint housing and accessory mounts.
Bolt-On Front Crossmember
- 4×2 fabricated lower crossmember
- Double-shear control arm mounts
- Folded or welded support gussets at all component mounts
- Multiple steel layers add strength at critical areas
- Completely bolt-on installation
We asked Alston what sets KP Components kits apart from others, “KP Components has the unique benefit of being part of a much larger manufacturing entity — Chris Alston’s Chassisworks — that encompasses multiple performance-focused chassis and suspension brands spanning vastly different vehicle markets. Also, The CAD-validated system design and advanced manufacturing methods mean KP Components’ customers can take comfort in purchasing a product with an engineering and quality-to-price ratio that you won’t find elsewhere in the sport-truck market.”
Bringing-Up The Rear
If you’re going to lower the nose of your C10, the rear will surely need to follow. That’s why KP Components developed the Bolt-On Parallel Four-Link Suspension for C10 pickups. This all-inclusive kit includes bolt-on axle brackets, Panhard-bar locater, shocks, and airbags or coilovers. You can also select to use the optional Watts link for 10- or 12-bolt rearend, and factory-valved billet-aluminum shocks.
- Bolt-on or weld-on design
- Airbags or coilovers available
If you’re ready to give your C10 the ultimate suspension, isn’t it time to find out more information about pricing and available options? If so, check out Chris Alston Chassisworks’ KP Components.